The Royal Canadian Air Force first identified Boundary Bay as a potential airport when looking for locations to train pilots for the Second World War. Their flight training school, Royal Canadian Air Force Station Boundary Bay, took up residence when the base opened in April of 1941. When the war ended, so did the need for the airport, and the RCAF de-commissioned the base in 1946.
The site was later re-established to operate radio equipment for communication and gathering signals intelligence – but closed again in 1971. For many years the site was used for various social/sports activities for the Delta community.
The airport was eventually restored and reopened in 1983 as Boundary Bay Airport (CZBB). The airport soon once again became a busy flight training hub.